Friday, April 19, 2013

Herbs- MVP for the night!


Last night was a girls night out- or rather- girls class out!  That's right, we outclassed everyone because we were learning about gardening with vegetables and flowers and herbs!  In my humble opinion, I think we all had fun and learned a lot.

First, I'm coping with the fact that my gardening escapades are near failures compared to my friends, but like I told my walking buddy this week, with cooking and gardening, as frustrating as they can be at times when you are always experimenting, I am choosing NOT to give up!  That would mean defeat from the cooking/gardening gods and I refuse.  Whatever successes I do have in those areas I hold them up like trophies!  They are my glory!  Aha!

So, I shared about my love of using herbs in the kitchen at the class tonight with my lady friends. When I use herbs,  I get that 'clean' feeling that I've been talking about. Using god-given plants to enhance my food, now that's a winner!  Here is my little list that I presented tonight:

rosemary: make your own herbes de provence- use on chicken or swiss steak
               use in homemade gyro meat recipe

mint: use in chia pudding, homemade tea, desserts

chives: use in scrambled egg recipes, or with cream cheese spreads

basil:  ok- just about anything with basil is a bit of heaven, but the obvious, pesto, pizza, etc

tarragon: salad dressings!  Can we hear a woot, woot!  I could drink this stuff.  Just do your basic
             dijon vinigrette with tarragon blended in with it.  Gold sauce!

I know you foodies out there can talk about more herbs forever. We need your legacy of knowledge, so please add to the list in the comments below.

In harmony,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment