Friday, April 19, 2013

Herbs- MVP for the night!


Last night was a girls night out- or rather- girls class out!  That's right, we outclassed everyone because we were learning about gardening with vegetables and flowers and herbs!  In my humble opinion, I think we all had fun and learned a lot.

First, I'm coping with the fact that my gardening escapades are near failures compared to my friends, but like I told my walking buddy this week, with cooking and gardening, as frustrating as they can be at times when you are always experimenting, I am choosing NOT to give up!  That would mean defeat from the cooking/gardening gods and I refuse.  Whatever successes I do have in those areas I hold them up like trophies!  They are my glory!  Aha!

So, I shared about my love of using herbs in the kitchen at the class tonight with my lady friends. When I use herbs,  I get that 'clean' feeling that I've been talking about. Using god-given plants to enhance my food, now that's a winner!  Here is my little list that I presented tonight:

rosemary: make your own herbes de provence- use on chicken or swiss steak
               use in homemade gyro meat recipe

mint: use in chia pudding, homemade tea, desserts

chives: use in scrambled egg recipes, or with cream cheese spreads

basil:  ok- just about anything with basil is a bit of heaven, but the obvious, pesto, pizza, etc

tarragon: salad dressings!  Can we hear a woot, woot!  I could drink this stuff.  Just do your basic
             dijon vinigrette with tarragon blended in with it.  Gold sauce!

I know you foodies out there can talk about more herbs forever. We need your legacy of knowledge, so please add to the list in the comments below.

In harmony,
Leslie