I've tried all sorts of brownies: bean brownies, red beet brownies, and now sweet potato brownies. I think these are my favorites- and my families too. I still need to work on the frosting; it wasn't sweet enough for my family and had a little funky after taste. But, the brownies alone- we all agreed it was a winner and, I might add, a head above any Godiva chocolate. My husband, love the man, who is a vowed processed food eater, declared them Fabulous and hands down better than box brownies. Now, that's saying something!
Here is the recipe:
Sweet Potato Brownies
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup sweet potato puree*
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup date paste
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup date paste
- ¼ cup hazelnut butter
- ½ cup fat free plain Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 scoops vanilla flavored whey protein powder
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Spray a 9” square baking pan with cooking spray and line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to extend over the sides.
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine avocado, sweet potato puree, unsweetened applesauce, date paste, vanilla and eggs and process until smooth and creamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together with a whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add sweet potato mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Fold in walnuts and transfer to your prepared pan. Spread batter evenly and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out almost clean.
- Set brownies on a wire rack to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- While brownies are cooling, prepare the icing by adding all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over warm brownies and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Leave the brownies on the wire rack until they reach room temperature then transfer to the fridge until completely cool. Cut into 12 squares.