Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Trek 2014

photo by Niki Roskelley

What is Trek?  Good question.  Since I've been talking about it with friends lately they think I'm saying 'track'.  Nope, it's Trek.  Like trekking, having a good time.  But in this case, it's a good time with your friends re-inacting what the pioneers went through to travel from Illinois to Utah during the 1800's.

You can read more about the history of the pioneers here.  The short story is the mormons had  built a beautiful city in Illinois.  They were murdered and robbed for their land and city.  With hardly any belongings they went west to Winter Quarters, IA.  The next year they travelled to Utah.  For the next 40+ years immigrants and converts to Mormonism traveled by boat then wagon or train or handcart (for the poorist of travellers) to the Salt Lake Valley.  Many died.

I have many ancestors that made this Trek.  I'm proud of the heritage they left for me and I hope that I'm living my life to honor them.  My children are learning a bit of the sacrifices that their ancestors went through by participating in Trek.  My children can be proud of themselves for being a 'different' kind of teenager and standing up for truth and righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment