Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Parenting in the 21st century

some really great kids

So we've had this conversation a little bit before.  I just wanted to revisit it.  A friend of mine is a teacher at a private school.  She is uber frustrated at how entitled the kids act today, not to mention how they want to be entertained all the time.  Here at hour house, we have a wee problem of 'I'm bored' at our house.  

I made up a list of things to do when a certain child says this lovely phrase.  My reply "Go read the list.  If you don't like anything on it, fine.  But, go find something to do that doesn't involve a screen."  It worked for awhile.  Now we are back to ground zero.  Ugh.

I read this article about how one family raised their 12 kids. My hands are clapping for their good efforts of creating an independent child-raising atmosphere.  Boss Moss and I have done a good portion of these, even down to the college bit.However, we did help them for one year of college.   Did you like the bit about giving their child a car? I thought this would be cool thing to do.  

Since we are experiencing a family crisis we might not be able to afford to pay for weddings, cars, or college in the future.  We'll see what the future brings.

Then I read this really intriguing article about 7 crippling parenting behaviors.  Um, a little guilt twinge felt here.  I'm trying to grow leaders here, but hard to do.  Any ideas on how to get kids busy without spending a ton of money???

I would love your thoughts,

In harmony,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment