Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Vitacost and chia seeds

chia balls


Besides essential oils, I like healthy foods.  They make my insides go aahhh!  I recently shared a recipe that I use chia seeds in.  My friends were intrigued.  They had heard of chia seeds but didn't know much about them or where to get them.

Chia seeds were a staple in South American diet, especially the Mayans.  The warriors would take a bag of chia seeds and water and off their merry way into the jungle.  Why so little food?  Because chia seeds have protein and a uber amount of omega 3's;  plus, when you add water to them they expand in your gut making you feel full.

The best place to get chia seeds (in my humble opinion) is vitacost.com .

Oh, and if you're curious, here is the recipe for Healthy Truffles (the name cracks me up!I'm easy to please.)

1 cup almonds (I like raw almonds- then you sprout them, all you do is soak them in water til they grow a ‘tail’, takes about 8 hours, rinse- more vitamins and enzymes)
1 cup pitted dates
¼ cup cocoa
1 tablesp. Agave

Blend in food processor, takes about 4-5 min until thoroughly blended

Form in small balls, roll in chia seeds or any seeds you like, sesame, pumpkin, coconut etc. Store in the freezer until ready to eat; let sit out for a few minutes, then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment